Leaves are blowing in the wind. Pumpkins are piled high at the market. Football season is in full effect. Yet, this warm Bay Area weather has me stuck in a summer state of mind. I needed something to set my seasons straight. Inspired by Scott Beattie’s delicious apple chip recipe, I knew I had to come up with a festive cocktail to match. A little apple brandy got the creativity juices flowing, and the demerara spiced cordial sealed the deal. Finally, autumn has officially arrived . . .
For the cocktail
For the demerara spiced cordial
To make the apple chips (allow 5 hours in advance to prepare)
- Preheat oven to 150 °F. Wash and slice the apple into 1/4 inch slices, removing any seeds. Dip the apple slices into simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water) and place onto a silicone baking mat.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon and sugar.
- Garnish some of the slices with mint (also dip in simple syrup).
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 5 hours, or until golden brown. Set the apples chips on a wire rack to cool and get crisp.
To make the demerara spiced cordial
- Add the spices to a small saucepan over medium heat. Shake the spices back and forth so that they do not burn.
- As soon as the spices become toasty and aromatic add the water and sugar. Stir continuously to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat, and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Add demerara rum and let cool.
To make the cocktail
- Add the apple brandy, Averna, lemon juice, apple juice, cordial, and bitters to your shaker.
- Fill your shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain and serve up in a chilled coupe glass.
- Float a freshly made apple chip on top for garnish.
(images by HonestlyYUM)