One of my favorite things about winter is the abundance of savory, satisfying, all-in-one baked meals. One that my family absolutely loves during the holidays is Turkey Shepherd’s Pie. Roast turkey, hearty vegetables, herbs and mashed potatoes are layered inside a 7×11 inch Pyrex Deep, which holds 50% more than your current baked glassware, and baked to bubbly, golden-brown perfection. It’s a crowd pleaser despite the fact that everyone ends up fighting over who gets the toasty corners! What I like is how easy this recipe is to make and how adaptable it is. You can easily sub out whatever leftover meat or vegetables you might have on hand in your fridge. And the bonus? If there are leftovers, simply put the lid on, pop it in the fridge and reheat later. Less time in the kitchen and more time with family. What’s not to love.
(images by HonestlyYUM. This post is sponsored by Pyrex. All opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep HonestlyYUM going!)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup green beans (chopped)
- 3 cups turkey (white & dark meat) (diced)
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup gravy
- 1 cup broth (chicken or beef)
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- olive oil
- kosher or sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 Pyrex 7" x 11" Deep
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour a couple of glugs of olive oil into a large skillet. Sauté onions over medium-high heat until translucent. Add carrots, peas, corn, green beans and any other leftover vegetables you might have. Add spices and bay leaf and then add turkey and stir for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chicken or beef broth, gravy and tomato paste. Stir until mixed and bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Meanwhile, reheat your mashed potatoes in a pot. Add milk a little bit at a time to help soften the mashed potatoes for easy spreading.
- Transfer the turkey mixture into a 7 x 11 Pyrex Deep Dish.
- Use a spatula and add dollops of mashed potatoes over the turkey mixture. Spread until all the edges are covered