Stop what you’re doing and make these cookies. Seriously, stop reading this post, take your phone, laptop, or whatever you’re using to read this, walk straight into the kitchen and preheat the oven. Next, scroll down past all the mouthwatering cookie photos (it’s only going to make your stomach growl), and get straight to the recipe. Hurry, there’s butter to be browned!
You see, I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect cookie. And let me tell you, when you’re married to a baker, that’s one dangerous quest. I know what you’re thinking, the perfect cookie is SO subjective. How am I going to tell you what the perfect cookie is?! To that I say: heaps of bittersweet dark chocolate chunks, gooey white chocolate chips, and crunchy macadamia nuts all playing off that sweet nuttiness of the brown butter, and finished with big flakes of Maldon sea salt. I assure you, when it comes to cookies it doesn’t get much better. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have an oven to preheat! 😛
Dark Chocolate Chunk White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies w/ Brown Butter & Sea Salt
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup shaved dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts (chopped, roasted unsalted )
- Maldon sea salt (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place 4 tablespoons of butter in bowl of your stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Melt remaining 10 tablespoons of butter in light colored skillet over medium heat. Swirl pan constantly and continue to cook until butter is dark golden brown. Remove from heat and immediately pour into stand mixer bowl and let it sit until butter is completely melted.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla to stand mixer and place on medium low speed until ingredients come together. Add egg and egg yolk and whisk on medium speed until smooth. Let mixture rest for a few minutes in the stand mixer.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and baking soda together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk mixture in the stand mixer for another 30 seconds until smooth and shiny.
- Remove bowl from the stand mixer and use spatula to stir in flour mixture until just combined. Add dark chocolate, white chocolate and macadamia nuts and mix just until evenly distributed.
- Measure out about 3 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into ball. Place on cookie sheet a couple inches apart. Cook in the oven for about 6 minutes, pull cookie sheet slightly out of the oven to sprinkle a pinch of Maldon salt onto each cookie and then place back into the oven for another 3-5 minutes until surface is just set and edges are slightly golden. Remove cookie sheet from the oven, cool on a wire rack while you bake the remaining couple batches.
NOTESTo shave the dark chocolate, take about 4 oz of a chocolate bar/square and use a serrated knife to make 1/4 inch cuts across; you will get a nice mix of small shavings and larger chunks - use them all!
(images by HonestlyYUM)