A hearty cheese platter is probably the easiest and most impressive course to assemble, which is why it’s one of my favorite things to serve when entertaining. And guess what? Sometimes, it can be the only hors d’oeuvre you’ll need and it doesn’t even require a variety of cheese.
Serving a single cheese is plenty sufficient. Boursin® Cheese, for example, has the perfect creamy and crumbly texture and is versatile enough to pair with just about any accompaniments – just be sure to include a bountiful assortment to inspire your guests to taste interesting and surprisingly delicious combinations! Check out a few of our pairing suggestions after the jump . . .
Pairing tips for the perfect cheese platter:
- Assorted crackers: choose a variety of crackers – Try flatbreads, crackers with dried fruit and nuts and even rice crackers for your gluten-free guests.
- Fresh fruit and nuts: Fruit and nuts are a great palette brightener, balancing out the saltiness of the cheese. Pick what fruit is in season and in most cases, you can just break the fruit open and lay them out in their most beautiful, natural state. Serve nuts unsalted.
- Dry cured meats: Meats like prosciutto add substance and heft to cheese like nothing else. Prosciutto di Parma also has a sweeter and nuttier flavor than most cured meats, which pairs nicely with Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs.
- Sweets: Cheese paired with fig jam and honey can only be described as a flavor explosion. That combination of salty and sweet is simple perfection!
- Olives: Olives add a nice tangy sharpness to a cheese as mild as Boursin.
- Chocolate: I’ll find any excuse to include two of my favorite indulgences on a single platter. But honestly, a bite of silky milk chocolate, paired with cheese, will surprise your senses. Try it!
(images by HonestlyYUM; this post was created in partnership with Boursin – opinions are our own)