This riff on the classic peanut butter cup was inspired by one of my favorite sandwiches, a peanut butter and banana sandwich. This little candy has the best combo of flavors — chocolate, peanut butter and bananas. They’re also incredibly easy to make. I melt the chocolate in a ziplock bag (fewer dishes to wash!) and pipe the chocolate into the 1 inch paper peanut butter cup liners, which I found at my local CVS. Then, each cup is filled with a little peanut butter and a thin slice of banana and then topped off with another thin layer of chocolate. I made this batch with more chocolate, which I thought I would prefer, but I actually thought it was too much chocolate. I’ve decreased the chocolate to peanut butter/banana ratio and it’s amazing. This recipe makes 28 candies, but guaranteed they’ll go fast!
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CUPS
- 15 ounces of dark or milk chocolate (whichever you prefer), chopped
- 1 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-2 bananas, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- Place half the chocolate in a large ziplock bag and place in a deep bowl and fill with hot water. Let it sit until the chocolate is melted fully.
- Arrange the liners on a baking sheet.
- Snip the tip of one corner of the ziplock and carefully fill the bottoms of the 1 inch peanut butter cup liners. Fill each with a thin layer about 1/5 of the way up. Lightly drop each one several times to flatten the chocolate out.
- Whisk the peanut butter and sugar together until smooth. The mixture will be thick.
- Add a a teaspoon of peanut butter in the center of each cup. Place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes until the chocolate is firm.
- Top each one with a banana slice.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate in a ziplock and bowl of hot water as you did before.
- Snip one corner of the ziplock and fill in the edge of the cups and fill in a thin layer of chocolate. Lightly drop each one several times until the chocolate has filled in the sides and is even on top.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes until firm.
(images by HonestlyYUM)