You may or may not know that I’m obsessed with Earl Grey tea. It’s my favorite. So here’s another recipe I’ve dedicated to my love for Earl Grey tea. This is one of those simple, but not simple, recipes. Simple in the sense that making the Earl Grey custard is simple (nothing fancy about this ice cream recipe here). But not simple, in the sense that you need an ice cream maker. This is the one I use and it works just great. The combination of creamy custard and Earl Grey is irresistible!
EARL GREY ICE CREAM
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 small pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons of loose leaf Earl Grey tea
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar and salt in a pot and simmer on a low-medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks and slowly stream in the milk-sugar mixture while constantly whisking the egg yolks. Keep whisking to make sure you don’t scramble the eggs.
- Transfer the egg mixture back into the pot and add the Earl Grey tea. Cook over low-medium heat stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
- The mixture will begin to thicken after a few minutes and turn a light grey brown. You’ll know when it’s ready when it coats the back of the wooden spoon and if you run your finger across the back of the spoon and the custard does not run into the track your finger left.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and allow it to steep for another 5 minutes. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours.
- Churn according to your manufacturer’s instructions.
(images by HonestlyYUM)
This is litterally the best ice cream ever:)
It looks positively yum! I’ve always wanted infuse tea into ice cream and I love Earl Grey tea, so I’m definitely going to make this ice cream.
Earl Grey tea is at the top of the teas list for me, I cannot imagine an ice cream made with it. Must be fantastic.
Early grey is one of my favorite ice cream flavors too! Whenever it’s on the menu at Ici, I have to order a double scoop. Thanks for developing a recipe so I can now have it at home!
I love earl grey ice cream! Such a unique flavor!
I adore Earl Grey — I’d wear it as a perfume if I could. I can just imagine the flavor of this ice cream — it’s going to haunt me!
This looks amazing! I’ve always wanted to infuse tea into ice cream!
This ice cream looks wonderful, what a creative recipe!
Helloooooooo beautiful!! This sounds so good!!
Genius idea – I love earl grey tea so I have to try this recipe! ❤