Man, I love apples. But my obsession with this pomaceous fruit cultivated only a few years ago, while I was living in New York City. I’ll never forget that crisp fall day when I stumbled across an overwhelming variety of apples from regional farms. They were ugly and I hardly recognized any – where were the Red Delicious or the Fuji apples I was so accustomed to? Oh, there was so much to learn. From tart Winesaps (my favorite) to sweet Ginger Golds to crunchy Staymans, apples were redefined and quickly became my new favorite fruit. This Belle de Boskoop apple and quince tart, by Bojon Gourmet, is the perfect example of why an apple isn’t just an apple . . .
- Discover 12 apple varieties you might not know about.
- A bacon apple grilled cheese with a fried egg?! Enough said.
- A necessity when canning apples or making apple butter, trust.
- My father’s solution to every problem is apple cider vinegar. Here’s why.
- Pork and apples, the perfect match.
- I’ll have one, two . . . ok, three of these. Easily.
- I’ve fallen in love with this salad.
- Ever wonder where the phrase “An apple a day . . . ” comes from?
(image by The Bojon Gourmet)