- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter, unsalted and cold
- 3 tablespoons of shortening
- 1 cup of iced water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Cut butter and shortening into small cubes and place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, add vinegar to iced water.
- In a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add butter and shortening for 10 seconds. Pour vinegar-water into the food processor 1 tablespoon at a time while pulsing. Add just enough vinegar-water so the dough starts to come together– the dough should not be wet, about 6 tablespoons total. Also do not overpulse the dough there should be chunks of visible butter and shortening at the end.
- Gather dough together and form into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Roll dough out into a circle a little larger than your pie pan.
- To get the dough into the pie tin roll the flat dough onto a rolling pin. Unroll the dough onto the pie pan. Trim excess dough.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before filling and baking it.
Recommended in The Pantry
Ingredients: 3/4 cup sugar 3/4 cup water 1 1/2 cups strawberries (halved) Directions: Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a simmer. Once the syrup […]
Ingredients: 2 cups of flat leaf parsley, packed 2 cups of arugula, packed 4 cloves of garlic, minced zest of 1/2 a lemon juice of one lemon 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil sea or […]