- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of butter, unsalted and cold
- 3 tablespoons of shortening
- 1 cup of iced water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- Cut butter and shortening into small cubes and place in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, add vinegar to iced water.
- In a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add butter and shortening for 10 seconds. Pour vinegar-water into the food processor 1 tablespoon at a time while pulsing. Add just enough vinegar-water so the dough starts to come together– the dough should not be wet, about 6 tablespoons total. Also do not overpulse the dough there should be chunks of visible butter and shortening at the end.
- Gather dough together and form into a ball. Wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Roll dough out into a circle a little larger than your pie pan.
- To get the dough into the pie tin roll the flat dough onto a rolling pin. Unroll the dough onto the pie pan. Trim excess dough.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before filling and baking it.
Recommended in The Pantry
Ingredients: 1 egg yolk 1/2 – 2/3 cup of a neutral oil, like grapeseed or safflower oil 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard 1/4 teaspoon of […]
Ingredients: 1 cup of buttermilk, well shaken 1/4 cup of Greek-style yogurt or sour cream 1/2 cup of mayonnaise 1 garlic clove, minced 2 tablespoons of shallots, minced 2 tablespoons of basil, minced 2 tablespoons […]