File this one under the category of, “why didn’t I make this sooner?!” As you know, I’m a fan of syrups: herbal syrups, berry syrups, and even cocktail syrups. It’s such an easy way to fancify your cocktails. This syrup, however, is a game-changer. Coconut chai syrup for the win! For some reason I never thought to mix sugar and coconut milk. A-MAZ-ING. Of course I had to add some chai tea, because, well why not? This lemonade seriously hit the spot last weekend after an epic day of yard work – perhaps even spiked with a splash of rum? Just sayin’ . . .
Start by making the coconut chai syrup.
Add the coconut milk and sugar to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to combine.
Once the syrup starts to steam, add the chai tea bags and continue to stir. Let the chai steep for roughly five minutes, then shut off the heat, remove the tea bags, and let cool to room temperature.
Once the syrup has cooled, it’s time to make the lemonade. Add the lemon juice, coconut chai syrup, and water to a shaker filled with cracked ice. Give it a couple quick shakes to combine.
Empty the entire contents of the shaker (ice and all) directly into a lowball glass. Garish with a lemon wheel and top with freshly grated cinnamon.
It’s lemonade time!
Coconut Chai Lemonade
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 1/2 oz coconut chai syrup
- 4 oz water
- lemon wheel and freshly grated cinnamon for garnish
Coconut Chai Syrup:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 chai tea bags
- Add coconut milk and sugar to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir to combine.
- Once the syrup starts to steam, add the chai tea bags and stir.
- Let steep for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and remove the tea bags. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add the lemon juice, coconut chai syrup, and water to a shaker filled with cracked ice.
- Shake briefly to combine (3 seconds).
- Empty the entire contents of the shaker into a lowball glass.
- Garnish with a lemon wheel and top with freshly grated cinnamon.
(images by HonestlyYUM)