With Halloween just days away, I wanted a cocktail that would chill your bones. Last week I set the mood with a spooky pumpkin punch, but this drink needed to be truly terrifying. First, I turned it as black as the sea floor. Almost unnaturally so. But you won’t find any food coloring in this drink . . . just a touch of squid ink got the job done. Are you scared yet? Yo ho ho, add a little spiced rum (I couldn’t help myself). Arr matey, don’t be alarmed. These flavorful ingredients more than mask any brininess of the sea. What you have instead is a devilishly sweet cocktail sure to shiver ye timbers!
Photography shot with the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 digital SLR camera. Small in size, enormous in performance.
- Start by adding the spiced rum, Fernet, and crème de cacao to your shaker.
- Next, add the squid ink. Careful, this stuff stains!
- Give the ingredients a hard, dry shake (no ice). This will help thoroughly incorporate the ink.
- Fill your shaker with ice and shake vigorously for a full 30 seconds so that your drink becomes cold and frothy.
- Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass and top with the chocolate stout.
NOTESYou can find squid ink at your local fish market. You can also try a grocery store with a good fish counter, like Whole Foods. If you're squeamish, feel free to substitute black food coloring.
(images by HonestlyYUM)