If you’re familiar with downtown Oakland and the eclectic food and drink it has to offer, chances are you’ve heard of Flora. On several occasions I’ve found myself gravitating toward the old Oakland Floral Depot building at the corner of 19th and Telegraph. Like a moth to the flame, I grab a seat at the vibrant art deco bar. Flora takes their cocktail program seriously, offering a variety of both originals and classics. Bar manager Matty McGee was kind enough to share a few recipes with us, the Singpore Sling and the Filibuster.
- 1 1/2 oz Sazerac rye
- 3/4 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 oz grade B maple syrup
- egg white
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake without ice (dry-shake).
- Add (4) cubes of ice and shake again for about 20 seconds.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a chilled coupe glass and garnish with a few dashes of bitters.
- 1 1/2 oz dry gin
- 1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz Cointreau
- 1/4 oz Benedectine
- 1/4 oz Cherry Heering
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all the ingredients except the Angostura bitters into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake.
- Double strain over fresh ice into an 8 oz highball glass.
- Garnish with 2 dashes Angostura bitters, a pickled cherry and a lime wheel.
(images by HonestlyYUM)